Saturday, July 12, 2008

About This Blog

Recently, especially because of the exposure this blog received as a being the "Best Church News Blog" on the Eastern Christian Awards, more people are dropping by.

I write the following in the hope to better clarify this blog's purpose. It is part of a response to a comment left here by Father Gregory Jensen who writes and maintains the Koinonia blog:

"This blog is maintained for several reasons. First and foremost because I enjoy doing so. Second, I want to create a sizable reference source of the lives of the Saints and the Holy Feasts of our Church which I am accomplishing one day at a time, one profile and icon at a time. This also goes goes for the news. By posting this news I hope to create, store and have readily available an archive of news information which can be accessed by visiting this blog's sidebar and clicking, for example, on "Orthodox News-Russia", which as I write, has 353 pieces of news items. I also attempt, for the reader's satisfaction, to "follow" stories. If I post a story and know that I have already posted on the same story, after providing the "SOURCE" link I also provide a link: "READ THE PREVIOUS POST RELATED TO THIS STORY:" and some stories have many tracebacks in this fashion.
A quick note on the stories themselves that are posted. VERY rarely do I provide commentary anymore mostly because of the sheer volume of stories I post. I don't have the time.
As well, let the reader know I often don't even like the stories I post for whatever reason; whether it be the opinion of the story's author I disagree with, the story's blatant errors, the story only providing a gloss of the history which needs much more development but does not get it and many other reasons I don't like an article.
I post them any way. One reason is to provide the reader with a better understanding of the culture from which within the Orthodox Faith is now held came from.
I always cite "SOURCE:" at the bottom(unless I forget) to let the reader know I did not write the story. This allows the reader to track the story to its source and author to dispute or comment on the story."

No comments: