Thursday, April 01, 2010

And now for something serious. For your consideration.

Sunday begins the Great Fast:  I'm fasting from vegetables, soups, tofu, soy products...

The ingredients HAVE to have meat, dairy, eggs or I'm passing it by.  For instance, if I pick up a cucumber, I'm going to read the ingredients.  If it is not meat/dairy/or egg filled, that is one sorry cucumber.  They shouldn't make it that way.

(I posted the above on Facebook and it drew a response from a fellow Orthodox Christian, Christopher Barton, who attends my parish.  The following is a record of our conversation):

Sophocles said: 
As well, things that live in the water are gonna have to work hard for awhile to make it on my plate.

Christopher said: 
We need foods made with real carnivore ingredients. I'm already planning on acting a fool at a churrascaria.

Sophocles said: 
Dude, I feel ya. Are you gonna let the meat fall out of your mouth onto your chin and shirt?

Christopher said:

I don't want to force it, I'll just let the meat go wherever it will. The only plan is to eat until I have to wonder how I'll be able to move to make it home from the restaurant.
Sophocles said:
Well said. I guess I was being silly. Still, putting a few eggs in your pockets and some mozzarella sticks on each ear(instead of cigarettes-those are unhealthy) as you walk out should still be within the pale of good taste. Hmm...maybe I'll join you.

Christopher said:
That reminds me, whilst we all prepare for meat gorging I don't want to leave out the pillaging I am going to do to sweet, sweet dairy. Especially dairy paired with meat, I'm looking at you Pasticcio.

Sophocles said:
Not mine, I hope! I'm defending my Pasticcio!

Oh wait, we can just make sure there is a-plenty for the both of us.(Forgive me, I overreacted. I temporarily forgot the Fast is ending).

Dairy coupled with meat...what a novel idea. Pasta with meat sauce with parmesan cheese on top? Meat Lover's Delight Pizza? We shouldn't think small on this matter.
Christopher said:
One thing I have learned about Pasticcio, there is NEVER enough or plenty.

We could do pasta, on top of meat... then some sort of cream sauce? I agree, we need to run this thing to be as big as possible. Pizza is definitely on my extensive Bright Week hit list.

Sophocles said:
I like the way you think. I can see our friendship growing because you are a very wise man.

Andrew said:
Soph I am not sure if you can handle the pressure of Bright Week, I think your body and soul is too weak and you will give in to the temptations of vegetables, but if you do, stand up and repent......


Sophocles said:
Andrew, thank you. I will. Ahead of time, if I do fall, I'm asking you to be my "meat spiritual father". I may have to lean on your wisdom in this area.


No comments: