Friday, March 16, 2007

A Nation of Nothing Behind the Eyes


Eye in a bowl
Originally uploaded by Dogen.

Its funny. When I meet someone , their eyes tell me a lot. The soul is revealed through the eyes, its state manifest publicly, naked before scrutiny. I search to penetrate with mine, I want to see what is there. I want to know you.
I have observed much; in others and also in myself. I have become a student of myself, observing my reactions as one who stands outside himself, searching the depths of my own being. But often in darkness I plumb as the illumination of the Lord I scorn, preferring my own light. Huh. The Master warns me to beware that lest the light in me be darkness. And darkness it is, my own pride blinding me to my own lostness.
But I digress. I began speaking about the eyes of others.
I notice that when I speak with someone with light behind their eyes, a certain presence emanates from within them. They too are probing me, looking deep within me, searching, perhaps reasoning and asking inwardly, "What kind of man is this?"
I noticed too another kind of man, empty, the light gone or flickering. Their gaze averts mine, unable to endure the disclosure. Here, there ,they look, but not into me. Perhaps this man has lost hope. Life didn't pan out as he expected. He is embittered, seeing no more pure good anymore but all he experiences is tainted by expectation of more of the same. A closed circle of existence.
I noticed yet another kind of man. I look into his eyes and I see the world. This man's eyes have never beheld anything of Heaven. If Heaven has impressed itself with any weight on this soul, quickly this soul has caused Its flight, so that no lingering fragrance remains. He is animated by the world. The world is his home. The world has blinded him and he is enamored by its beauty. Eternity does not bestir him to rise; to lift his eyes upon Him that He may have compassion upon him, for he beholds Him not.
The Holy One is not reflected by the world, but rejectes Him, asking instead for the murderer, that deceiver of old, a murderer from the beginning. The world asks once again for him rather than the Healer, the lancer of the pus of our being, for He penetrates. Deep. Too deep. So deep.

But godly sorrow produced by the Great Physician leads him to repentance, to abandon and shed the old man.
Ah, but the world. He loves his home.

Everywhere I turn, in so many faces, I see the same eyes. A nation of nothing behind the eyes.

"Save me, o Lord."

I look and look and I see the world. These eyes that show me the world; its shadows and illusions. Froth on top of every cup I'm bidden to drink at its beckoning, discovering there is no substance. The same trick gets me every time.


These eyes are mine.


What fate awaits me? What is behind my eyes?

"Do You look, o Lord, and see me among those with nothing behind their eyes?"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that. The looking into others eyes can be quite a revelaing thing.
I get those same impressions from people. I'm not sure so much through the eyes. Their whole being jumps out and says things like, "Fear, Insecurity, Anxiety." Those are easy for me to see because I am so filled with those emotions when God is not ever present in my life.
The feelings of Love, Content, and Faith are ones that I cling to in others. Not being alone in this world brings me peace. Growing into Loving others as Our Lord and Father Loves us. "What an Order" we can do it one Prayer at a time.

Sophocles said...

Dear Justin,

Well said!

In Christ and in fellowship,

Sophocles said...

Dear George,

I got your comment and I'm sorry I had to delete the whole post and repost it because I had trouble figuring out posting the picture. I think I got it all straightened out, but I would love to have your comment again.

In Christ and in fellowship,

Sophocles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Soph,

I think my previous comment said that I agreed with your comments about the eyes leading to the soul. I believe personally, that when my soul is alive, I gain confidence in the Lord and have no problems looking and connecting with others. But I stray from the soul glare when I'm troubled, lost, and/or lack confidence and faith. I take myself away from the good that can help me, and that's God and His good people. So I totally see what you were talking about. A troubled soul to me is one that takes himself from God and trusts in himself. You lose your life, or shall I say soul, when you do this.

And finally, I have a random comment. Tell me what you think. I noticed something a few weeks back that I think it's pretty amazing. If we look back at our Saviour's death, we see that he was crucified with nails. It was nails that made our Lord bleed and it was nails that penetrated through the cross. But if you look at our beautiful crosses hanging in our houses, Churches, or stores, whats the one thing holding up our crosses? Nails! I noticed that the object that killed Christ is now the object that holds his most Glorious Cross up for everyone to see in his honor. Is that amazing or what?

Anonymous said...

Good Point George. Perception is pretty cool.
It's reasons like that that show this thing is timeless. It aplies to our lives now and it applied to the lives of those living 2000 years ago. It just makes sense.

Sophocles said...

Dear George,

Thanks again for your comments, sorry for erasing the previous ones.
And your take about the eyes and the state of the soul are great.
The nails that hang our Crosses; I never gave that any thought before till you brought that up.

Dear Justin,
Man, you don't even know how much it warms my heart to see you really growing in our blessed Faith!

Anonymous said...

Hey Soph, when are you going to enlighten us with another thought on spirituality? And how's Damion doing? Is he still writing poetry? Anyway, God bless my friends, and I'll talk to you soon. Justin, Pray for me!!!!!

Sophocles said...

Dear George,

Good to hear from you again. My writing will probably come and go. I think I've been putting something up to the tune of once every 4-5 days thus far. But, I've got some great blogs listed for reading as well as some great Orthodox links at the bottom of my page for your viewing fulfillment.

In Christ and in fellowship,

Anonymous said...

I just remebered something i wrote in response to your struggle post. This is the comment where I wrote something in length and it got deleted. I gave you thanks and credit for explaining the Christian struggle. Because there are days where I too have desired Egypt. And especially during this lenten season where of course we all will run into weakness. But thanks because it reminded me I might not be as crazy as I think. Believe me, I really think I'm crazy sometimes. And It's good to know others have these hard times too. I think I just single myself out alot and that's not good. God Bless!