Commemorated on June 12
Saint Arsenius of Konevits was a native of Novgorod, a coppersmith by
trade. The saint accepted tonsure at the Lisich monastery near
Novgorod, where he spent eleven years. He went to Mount Athos in 1373,
and there he spent three years, dwelling in prayer and making copper
vessels for the brethren.
In the year 1393, St Arsenius returned
to Russia and brought with him an icon of the Mother of God, which was
later called the Konevits Icon. St Arsenius went with this icon to the
island of Konevets on Lake Ladoga, where he spent five years in
solitude.
In 1398, with the blessing of Archbishop John of
Novgorod, St Arsenius laid the foundations of a cenobitic monastery
dedicated to the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos. He visited Athos a
second time, and asked the holy Fathers for their prayers and a
blessing for his monastery.
In 1421 the lake flooded, destroying
the monastery structures. This forced St Arsenius to relocate the
monastery to a new site on the island. St Arsenius died in 1447, and was
buried in the monastery church. His Life was written in the sixteenth
century by Igumen Barlaam of Konevits. The Life of Saint Arsenius was
published in 1850, together with the Service and Akathist in his honor.
SOURCE:
SAINT OR FEAST POSTED THIS DATE 2014(with 2013's link here also and further:, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and even 2008!):
ROCOR’s Archbishop of Canada talks threat of nuclear war with Alex Jones
(+VIDEO)
-
Most importantly, the hierarch calls on Christians to pray for peace and an
end to the war.
14 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment