Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Little Saying: Tuesday 7-24-07

To clarify a bit, during this time when I collected these sayings, I would read one a day from "The Treasury of Courage and Confidence". The ones in the book that stuck out to me are the ones I am posting. These particular ones, also, I would write down and then post all over my office to read at appropriate times of need.

The ones I will be posting are only a tiny portion from this book and for whatever reason at the time, they jumped out at me and I recorded them. There were many days that I did not make note of the writing. As I mentioned on yesterday's post, along with these sayings, I would read a Psalm a day and some of these Psalms made such an impression on me that they would become my "saying" or "snippet" for the day. So I have put these into my rotation of daily(at work) readings alongside the other ones.

I mention this because today's snippet is Psalm 77.

Today I read Psalm 104.

The snippet is:

I CRIED unto God with my voice, even unto God with my voice; and he gave ear unto me.
2 In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord: my sore ran into the night, and ceased not: my soul refused to be comforted.
3 I remembered God, and was troubled: I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah.
4 Thou holdest mine eyes waking: I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
5 I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times.
6 I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.
7 Will the Lord cast off forever? and will he be favorable no more?
8 Is his mercy clean gone forever? doth his promise fail forever more?
9 Hath God forgotten to be gracious? hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah.
10 And I said, This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High.
11 I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.
12 I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.
13 Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?
14 Thou art the God that doest wonders: thou hast declared thy strength among the people.
15 Thou hast with thine arm redeemed thy people, the sons of Jacob and Joseph. Selah.
16 The waters saw thee, O God, the waters saw thee; they were afraid: the depths also were troubled.
17 The clouds poured out water: the skies sent out a sound: thine arrows also went abroad.
18 The voice of thy thunder was in the heaven: the lightnings lightened the world: the earth trembled and shook.
19 Thy way is in the sea, and thy path in the great waters, and thy footsteps are not known.
20 Thou leddest thy people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

-Psalm 77

*note* Again, I collected these during a period of my life I was experiencing intense and prolonged distress. So when I read this Psalm during my Psalm reading, it labeled itself to me "When my soul refuses to be comforted" and I like that. From a purely sentimental and therapeutic sense, this Psalm says that to me.

No comments: